Friday, February 20, 2009

Updates from our house

I can't believe it's been so long since I have updated. I apologize to my 2 readers. lol Let's see, the last time I updated was when Joe got his new car. That was over a month ago as he has already had to put his permenant plate on it. :) Life finally seemed to calm down a bit after that. Baseball had gotten underway somewhat. Signups took place and Joe was elected to the Grayson Athletic Association board of directors as the Secretary. He likes when I call him "Mr. Secretary". LOL My sister in law got married in Savannah on Feb 7th so I had a lot of shopping to do beforehand. My kids owned only jeans and t-shirts and they all needed clothes for the rehearsal dinner as well as the wedding and so did I.

I spent a solid week looking for clothes for us and finally made the final decisions and purchases the Thurs before we left (Feb 5th). As I was driving home from the mall, my van wouldn't shift gears. I knew something bad was wrong so I drove it straight to our mechanic. He drove it with me and informed me of the bad news..NEW TRANSMISSION. We just put a transmission in it 2 yrs ago and the cost of the transmission was more than what the van was worth so we knew we needed to search for a new van. Obviously, we had no time as we were leaving the very next morning for Savannah. Luckily my sister has an extra vehicle which happens to be a van so we borrowed that from her to make our trip much better. It was hard for me to enjoy my weekend as I knew what my week ahead held in looking for a van for me. We returned home Sunday late afternoon and our septic tank was messed up. We knew it was full and needed to be pumped so that's what I spent Monday doing. I waited around for the septic dudes to get here and empty the septic tank. Finally on Tuesday, I was able to go van shopping. I had to go alone as Joe couldn't take the day off. So..off I went. The first place I stopped was awful. The 2 vans I looked at were in bad shape. I then stopped at a Toyota dealership next door to the first place. They took up A LOT of my time and in the end, talked me in to driving a van home. I knew I didn't want that van and should have never driven it home but I did. That afternoon, I saw that Carmax in Kennesaw had gotten in 2 Toyota Siennas so immediately after the boys got home from school, we went up there (about an hour drive) to look at those. Luckily, Joe works about 15 mins from there and met us there. We spent 3 hrs test driving 2 vans and getting the paper work completed but in the end, I bought a 2006 Toyota Sienna. EXACTLY what I wanted! :) We had to leave it because we didn't have any way to get it home so I went the next morning with my father in law to pick it up. On the way home, the tire pressure light came on. UGH Thursday I had a lot of errands to run and it was a half day at school so I couldn't take the van back to Carmax until Friday. Friday I took the van back and they took care of it. Something about having to call Toyota to get the code to reset that light. So, I now have my van and I totally love it!

We also booked our house for Spring Break in Holden Beach, NC. :) We went there last year and had so much fun. My inlaws will be going as well as my sister in law and hopefully her boyfriend. We are all very excited about this upcoming trip.

Baseball has officially started and all 3 of the boys are on great teams with wonderful coaches! This is going to be a great season! :)

2 comments:

CarMaxChris said...

Hi! I am the social media PR rep at the CarMax home office in Richmond, VA. Google alerts notified me of your post about shopping at CarMax. It sounds like you got a great car at one of our Atlanta-area stores. I hope your friends will visit CarMax, too. Thanks for being a CarMax customer and blogging about your experience!

Amy Flippin Blankenship said...

Chris,

Thanks for the comment. YES, my husband and I have bought cars from 2 different Atlanta area CarMax dealerships in the past month. We have done business with CarMax in the past and plan to do business with them in the future! Nothing but great service from all locations we have visited (Norcross, Town Center, and Roswell). Thanks again for your comment!

Amy Blankenship